Thursday, March 28, 2013

I am with C

I am thinking that this new chapter in my life, the one with C - needs to be documented. I need to document it for myself because when I close this chapter and move on I want to look back and remind myself that I can do anything. Which apparently the SO has always thought but I didn't really buy into until now.

The SO is a very wise and practical guy. He is an amazing combination of the corporate guy, the former deadhead and my personal entertainment. Watching him crack himself up over something I didn't quite get, or seeing him get serious and analytical in tackling a problem - I love those moments. We have times where my day is made by getting him to laugh. His nature is that of a caretaker. That is what makes him a great father to the bonuses, a good son and brother and friend. He always surprises me with some of the quietly thoughtful things he'll do. We have a niece who was in the hospital for over a month with a serious illness that culminated in her having to undergo major surgery. I was in close contact with her and her parents - sharing encouragement and good vibes. What did the SO do? He, and Bonus #2 (birth order and nothing else), conspired to send a large cheesecake to the hospital. To the staff in the unit she was in. To say thanks for their hard work. He wouldn't have mentioned it to anyone if word about this hadn't appeared on Facebook. And that is what I love about him. (And #2.) He is all about the random acts of kindness. Just ask various domestically challenged people hanging out on Bunker Hill in downtown LA. Anytime he walks by a fast food restaurant at lunch he buys a lunch and bottle of water and then proceeds to give that to the first domestically challenged person who will take it. And I only know about this because I asked about his frequent debits at a certain establishment that has Golden Arches, usually after debits at a Chinese restaurant, California Pizza Kitchen or a former hang out of ours when we were dating. When I am with the SO things happen.

When you are with C in many ways it is like being the person allowed past the velvet ropes into the coolest club. The Can-sa Buddy pointed out to me that she realized this was serious when she was moved to the front of a lot of lines for tests, appointments - whatever it took. This came home to me when I had to get an updated mammogram and got it scheduled and completed within 24 hours of calling about it. I could've had it done in 4 hours but I had some work commitments that I wanted to stick with. C brings people into your life that you never would have expected. The Pharmacist personally asks how I am doing. The Angel Doctor calls me herself to check in. Can-sa creates a small town feeling for me in this huge healthcare world.

Last week the SO and I went to meet with the bigwig doctor aka The SuperStar. This was a big sitdown about what was going on, what should go on and how we were going make it happen. The SuperStar is the kind of doctor that you seek out and want to work with if you can. Because he is highly sought after he is selective about his clients. The cases he works with are more complex in nature than - say the Angel Doctor's. Hers apparently are a little more ordinary as if any of this is ordinary. So here I am looking at another club that I've gone from dreading to being qualified for - to begging to get in. Well almost. The good news was that while my kind of C got me past the velvet ropes it didn't get me into the VIP room that has bottle service.

When you are in The SuperStar's waiting room the feeling is strange. Everyone who is there is in a similar situation and emotions are running high. There was a woman and her mother - they were chatty and friendly - but I noticed they were clutching each other's hands tightly. There was an elderly woman and her husband. They were probably in their early 70s. She seemed very kind and greeted everyone; he was very polite and reserved. They went in to meet with the SuperStar and the man came out alone. At this time it was just the SO, the man and me. We were all sitting and pretending to be immersed in whatever was on the TV or in the SO's case - checking work emails. But we were just trying to stay distracted; especially since the man - in a very dignified manner - had tears rolling down his cheeks. I quietly peeked at him and mentally said a prayer for them; all the while hoping the SO is never in that position. Or anyone at all for that matter.

After two hours spent with The SuperStar we both left there in a better frame of mind. That there is a tentative plan of attack. We were also exhausted by the information and emotions and ready to get on with it. When you leave these kind of appointments its strange because you sort of vault back into the normal routine; it is like for two hours you were in an alternative universe. Work emails were piling up, voicemails and returning calls to fabulous support system. When you are with C and in that club those are the responsibilities. Pushing forward and getting on with it. And in my case, being with C reminds me to appreciate the job, the health insurance, the support system, the experience of others going through this, the Bonuses and the SO. I'm ready for my time with C to end, we need to part ways and I'll be happy living the ordinary life I was already living.



No comments:

Post a Comment