Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Class Reunions and a Girl who is still out there.

This weekend I am missing two class reunions. Both are on the same night on opposite coasts of the country. I am reluctant to share the number of years since graduation but if you are on FB you already know; it is greater than 29 and less than 31... Many of my former classmates are gearing up for the festivities and have been looking forward to them for months. The FB activity between everyone is increasing and new family pictures are being posted for sharing prior to the big weekend.

What have the last thirty years held for everyone? Sadly, we have lost some folks along the way and they will be missed; their absences noted. There have been marriages and unions, careers and children, moves and adventures. Will people share the challenges they have faced and the daily routine of their lives? Will the various cliques still stay together or will people have found other common areas that break down some of the social barriers that were in place so long ago?

My memories of high school involve meeting the other new kids at orientations for transfer students, a lot of swimming, dances, laughs and tears. The primary groups I hung out with on either coast were different from one another in a lot of ways and very similar in other ways. I like to think of myself as the "funny one" in both groups. The Marylanders were focused on academics and sports. The Californians were also academically oriented but very social too. We all supported each other and started to learn how to navigate the world together.

The classmates that I was close to and am still in touch with have gone through so much and in my view, have really risen to life's challenges. Life's tests included the cancer of a spouse, financial uncertainty, the loss of family members, divorce and unemployment. When we correspond their voices are still intact and unchanged. They share their pride in their families and their ongoing focus on a bright future. Touching base is comforting and provides laughs too. We appreciate the time we take to touch base and the encouragement or humor that we still share. Getting to know each other again brings us back to our roots.

I am sad to miss the reunions this weekend. The husband and I have other commitments and couldn't make the trip to either coast. I am going to miss the reminiscing and hugs, the music, reconnecting with folks and learning what their new view of the world is. The Significant Other would learn things about me that I have forgotten or conveniently "edited". He would've met a girl who loved to play the occasional prank joke or to Toilet Paper the house of an unsuspecting victim (hello Holy Rollers!). He would've heard about a competitor underneath a soft veneer whose biggest rival was herself in the pool. He would've learned about teachers who impacted me and probably didn't even know it (Dr. Volk, Mr. Butler, Ms. Ricalzone and Lombardi.) For me, I hope my classmates will miss the optimistic girl that loved to laugh and skip, swim her heart out and learn about life. And I hope they know she is still out there....

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know that girl! Great post...so many life changes are experienced between reunions, some sad, some awesome. I often feel like the girl I used to be is still in there, just covered in a layer of middle-age!

    ReplyDelete