Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Happy life, happy wife...

I woke up this morning to birds chirping, bright blue skies, a gentle breeze flowing through the aspen grove by our house. The dogs were snoring and dreaming. The Brown One was chasing the same thing he has been chasing for months now, open mouth, legs twitching. The Black One was definitely dreaming about food. (She is all about the food.) It was like the beginning of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs minus the Disney music. I am a lucky person because I actually wake up in a good mood. Even when I have tons on my mind and a huge to-do list.

Now the dogs are always in a good mood. My husband swears they are all about the short term memory. Here is his perspective on their routine. "Wow, it's morning. I heard about this." "Hey, they are going to give us food. How lucky are we?" "Check out the grass in the yard, it is so special, I found a new @#$ spot." They are always happy to see us and thrilled with any little bit of attention, food, walk. You name it.

Mike aka the SO (significant other) prefers to start his day in a completely different manner. He grumbles about the things he is tripping over on his way to make coffee. He doesn't really speak until something on Fox News has gotten his attention and needs some sort of response in agreement. Full sentences are saved for really outrageous political behaviour. Luckily for me I am not expected to participate in this or respond.

So what has me thinking about this is all of the news about Chelsea Clinton's wedding. The tally of dollars being spent, flowers being purchased and a gluten free vegan cake. I remember going through all of that and being so excited about our guests, the reception, the food (a real cake I might add) and the whole weekend of events we planned. My oldest brother stood in for my father and walked me down the aisle; my other brothers all took on jobs that Dad would've had and that was so special. Of course I remember all of those things and seeing the same flowers and the venue or hearing the music always takes me back to that special day. I'd like to think they take Mike there too (except for the flowers probably.)

But the thing about weddings is that this is really about a marriage and life. Not flowers or food or music. What I have learned and am continuing to learn is that while a wedding day is so special and makes for amazing memories it doesn't compare to the day to day life. As a friend of mine said years ago, it isn't all sunsets and champagne. And you know, she was right. It's someone setting out a cup of coffee for you in the morning just exactly how you like it. Or someone DVRing a certain reality series for you so you can watch it while he is out of town. It is the SO figuring out that I like to start my day on a good note so he changes from Fox News when I join him and my staying in bed, faking sleep so he can get in his Fox fix before I get up.

It is our laughter at things that might not make sense to someone else. Housework, yardwork and work work. Shared interests and in some cases, interests that aren't shared (hello golf.) This is what makes for a lifetime of love and commitment; at least in my opinion. All of that, and the occasional sunset, bouquet of flowers and a nice pot of coffee. Those are the things I always wish for newlyweds as these are the things that make this a happy life and me - a happy wife...

1 comment:

  1. Perfect! And so true....I remember when my sis-in-law to be was stressing SO MUCH about the mundane details of her wedding. I had a conversation much like your post with her, trying to help her see that it wasn't just a day, it was the first of many married days.

    You are one lucky lady, and it shows!

    ReplyDelete